Pulitzer Prizes

Leemo

This year’s prize went to Joshua Cohen’s The Netanyahus. He’s been on my radar for a while thanks to Witz, but I’ve never actually read anything by him. I’m guessing The Netanyahus wouldn’t be a bad place to start.

The finalists were Monkey Boy by Francisco Goldman and Palmares by Gayl Jones, both of whom I’m unfamiliar with

Full list of winners:
Interesting, I think that's 1 of only 2 books I bought that was published last year, but I had no intention of getting to it anytime soon. Maybe I'll bump it up my tbr list.

Stevie B

Current Member
Gayl Jones has been writing and publishing since the 1960s, I believe. I've seen her hailed as "one of the best writers you've likely never read." I recently picked up a republished edition of Eva's Man. Like Leemo, I might have to adjust my reading queue.

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

An old thread I have just discovered.

Pulitzer has been awarded to some of the finest writers in American Literature/Non-fiction. Based on the books that has been awarded, here are some that I've read, unfortunately there are few:

Old Man and the Sea, For Whom the Bell Tolls--- Ernest Hemingway
Middlesex--- Jeffrey Eugenides
Anna Christie, Long Day's Journet into Night--- Eugene O'Neill
The Road--- Cormac McCarthy
The Hours---- Michael Cunnigham
Beloved (still reading)--- Toni Morrison
Wild Iris--- Louise Gluck
American Primitive--- Mary Oliver
Ariel--- Sylvia Plath
Self- Portrait in a Covex Mirror--- John Ashbery
Death of a Salesman--- Arthur Miller
A Streetcar Named Desire--- Tennesse Williams

I hope to read more Pulitzer Prize winning works, non-fiction inclusive.

redhead

Blahblahblah
The Pulitzer’s a weird prize. When they get it right, they really get it right. The winner list includes great classics like The Grapes of Wrath, To Kill a Mockingbird, and there’s some others, like House Made of Dawn and The Orphan Master’s Son, that I admire a lot. But more often than not, I find I agree with William Gass’s opinion of the award: https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/books/98/11/01/specials/gass-prizes.html?_r=1

“…the Pulitzer Prize in fiction takes dead aim at mediocrity and almost never misses…”

Ben Jackson

The Pulitzer’s a weird prize. When they get it right, they really get it right. The winner list includes great classics like The Grapes of Wrath, To Kill a Mockingbird, and there’s some others, like House Made of Dawn and The Orphan Master’s Son, that I admire a lot. But more often than not, I find I agree with William Gass’s opinion of the award: https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/books/98/11/01/specials/gass-prizes.html?_r=1

“…the Pulitzer Prize in fiction takes dead aim at mediocrity and almost never misses…”

Forgot to mention To Kill a Mockingbird, a book I always love. A true classic.

Ben Jackson

What did you think of the Cunningham book? Also, Mary Oliver used to be my favorite poet when she was alive, :)

Actually, I did love the book when I read in 2019. But after reading Mrs Dalloway, which I read during 2020 lockdown, I found the novel too imitative, especially the sections of Clarrissa Vaughan (her sections, beginning with her purchasing flowers in New York store one day towards the end of 20th Century, were drawing parallels to Woolf's, for example Septimus Warren Smith, a shell-shock victim of World War 1 in Woolf's work, becomes Richard, a gay poet who's dying who aids but eventually commits suicide by falling from the window), although Cunnigham did acknowledge the influence of Woolf (he said his novel The Hours, which was originally the title of the novel later called Mrs Dalloway, as confirmed by a volume of Woolf Diaries Cunningham read, is a tribute to Woolf's novel). I did appreciate the other sections, the sections of Woolf, who wakes up with an idea to write Mrs Dalloway one day in 1923, and Laura Brown section, a house wife in Los Angeles in 1949 who's reading Mrs Dalloway to herself. Cunningham did succeed in his presentation of stream-of-consciousness technique. But overall, it's just a good work but not as great as the other Pulitzer Prize winning novels I've read like Old Man and the Sea, To Kill a Mockingbird and The Road.

American Primitive, meanwhile, is a good collection from Oliver. Simplistic, beautiful poems about nature and oneness with it, wildness of America, humanity in love, in fact celebration of primitive things of America, wildness that survives both within and outside our bodies. Critics call her descendant of Emily Dickinson and Ralph Waldo Emerson and I agree. Here's A Meeting, from the volume:

She steps into the dark swamp
Where the long wait ends.
Secret slippery package
Drops to the weeds.
She leans her long neck and tongue it
Between breaths slack with exhaustion.

And after a while it rises and becomes a creature
Like her but much smaller.
So now there are two. And they walk together
Like a dream under the trees.

In early June, at the edge of a field
Thick with pink and yellow flowers
I meet them.
I can only stare.
She's the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.
Her child leaps away the flowers
The blue of the sky falls over me
Like silk, the flowers burn and I want
To live my life all over again, to begin
Again,
To be utterly
Wild.

Papageno

The lovers of the Hours might be happy to hear that the Met Opera of New York City has just had a premiere of Kevin Puts' opera The Hours, based on Cunningham's book, as well as its movie adaptation. The performance will be transmitted live in HD on December 10 in many cinemas around the world, and, as far as I understand, the Met also made it possible to viewers to stream in their homes through their platform, if they cannot reach a suitable movie theatre. The cast includes Renée Fleming (one of the most beautiful voices of this century, hands down) as Clarissa Vaughnan, but also Joyce DiDonato, a highly accomplished mezzo-sopranos, as well as Broadway's Kelli O'Hara, to whose voice & stage presence I have to admit that I am highly allergic. The reviews of the opera so far have been rather mixed, mostly praising the singers, but criticizing the muddled script and the uneven score. I personally won't be running to see it, but it might be worth a watch for someone who actually does love The Hours.

tiganeasca

This year's Pulitzer Prize for fiction went to two books:

"Two awards were given in this category: to Barbara Kingsolver, for a recasting of the Charles Dickens novel “David Copperfield” set in Appalachia. The narrator’s “wise, unwavering voice relates his encounters with poverty, addiction, institutional failures and moral collapse — and his efforts to conquer them,” the committee said. Hernan Diaz was honored for “Trust,” which explores family, ambition and wealth through linked narratives in different literary styles."

The poetry award was given to Then the War: And Selected Poems, 2007-2020, by Carl Phillips.

Liam

Administrator
So all I have to do is to publish a volume of poetry in Klingon, and I'm good to go? 😂

Kidding of course, but it's funny, I didn't know that there was no language requirement for the prize.

tiganeasca

From their website. Please note the answer to question 9.

ENTRIES FOR THE AWARD​

The basics​

1) What books are eligible for consideration? Books first published in the United States during 2023. All entries must be made available for purchase by the general public in either hardcover or bound paperback book form by a United States-based press. In the Fiction, Biography, Memoir, Poetry and General Nonfiction categories, authors must be United States citizens. In the History category, the author may be of any nationality but the subject of the book must pertain to United States history.

2) Must the publisher make the entry? The publisher does not need to make the entry. Anyone (including the author) may submit an eligible book.

3) Is there an individual or organizational submission limit? There is no limit. You are free to make as many submissions of eligible material as you wish.

4) May I send a check and a copy of the old paper entry form in lieu of completing the online entry form? We are unable to accept paper checks. We ask that you use the online entry form if at all possible. We are happy to guide you through the process.

5) Do you accept books that are self-published in the United States via such services as Amazon, CreateSpace or Lulu? Yes, as long as they meet the aforementioned criteria (see No. 1).

6) My submission is only available as an ebook. Is it still eligible? Although we are now accepting PDFs, eligibility is contingent on its availability as a bound book (see No. 1).

Science fiction? A translation?​

7) Are "genre" (science fiction, fantasy, mystery, thriller, horror/weird, Western, etc.) titles eligible in the Fiction category? Works outside the purview of literary fiction are eligible for the Pulitzer Prize as long as they meet the aforementioned criteria (United States citizenship of author; all entries must be made available for purchase by the general public in either hardcover or bound paperback book form by a United States-based publisher in 2023).

8) Are graphic/comic-based works eligible? Yes, as long as they meet the aforementioned criteria (see questions Nos. 1 and 7). Graphic adaptations of preexisting literary and cultural works are ineligible. We have accepted graphic books in several categories, including Fiction and General Nonfiction.

9) Are translations eligible? Translations are ineligible.

For the purposes of the competition, "translations" are any text initially written in a language other than Modern English. In particular, please note that new translations of the world's foundational literary and scriptural texts (including translations from earlier forms of English) are not eligible.

10) Are edited anthologies eligible? "Edited anthologies," which include compilations of work by various authors and/or any work derived from the curatorial input of a credited editor (as exemplified by a collection of selected letters), are not eligible.

However, collections with no editorial attribution that present a writer's selected or collected oeuvre in book form for the first time (such as "The Stories of John Cheever," which received the 1979 Fiction Prize) are eligible. Please contact us at pulitzer@pulitzer.org or (212) 854-3841 if you require further clarification.

11) My book was published by a foreign university press with an editorial presence in the United States. Is it eligible? We accept books by publishers that maintain an editorial presence in the United States (including but not limited to Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press and Bloomsbury). Foreign university presses distributed by these entities (such as Edinburgh University Press) are ineligible. Please contact us at pulitzer@pulitzer.org or (212) 854-3841 if the circumstances are nebulous and you require a more detailed evaluation.

12) I am a United States citizen who lives abroad and my book was published by a foreign press. Is it eligible? No, it is not eligible. Although we do not take an entrant's current place of residence into account as long as the entrant is a United States citizen in all categories save for History, the book must have been published by a United States-based press (see No. 11 if necessary). Please contact us at pulitzer@pulitzer.org or (212) 854-3841 if you require a more detailed evaluation.

13) Is it possible to enter a revised edition of a previously published work even if it wasn't previously entered and/or immediately recalled following initial publication? Previously published works (including revised editions) are ineligible. The competition is limited to books first published in 2023.

Bartleby

In the copyright section of the book's English language edition it is stated:

This work, while originally written in English, is based on and shares themes with “El invencible verano de Liliana” by Cristina Rivera Garza, published in Spanish by Literatura Random House, Barcelona, in 2021.

There is no translator credited.

Taking a quick look at the two editions, tho, they look fairly similar... I Guess the author either really wrote the English one first, but got to publish the Spanish version first; or she just claimed that's how it went... 🤷‍♂️

Ben Jackson

An article from The Guardian last year revealed that Pulitzer has included entries for non-US writers, so maybe that's the reason Garza was awarded.

The Common Reader

Stevie B

Current Member
The article here indicates that "she emigrated to the United States in 1989." But her Wikipedia biography lists her nationality as "Mexican." At any rate, I am proud to point out that she is a long-time faculty member of the university where I work.
Living in Houston is a brave thing, nowadays, with the constant threat of flooding. Hope you're located on higher ground (if such a thing even exists there).