Pulitzer Prizes

Stevie B

Current Member
Re: 2017 Pulitzer Prizes

Isa, branding an author a "nobody" just because you had never previously heard of him seems like a pretty shorted-sighted thing to do. Perhaps you're too reliant on lists. There are many excellent writers who never receive literary awards or are even nominated for them. Although I've never read Greer, I've been tempted to. I occasionally come across his first two novels in used bookstores. Both were very well received when they came out a number of years ago. Greer was even cited by some back then as one of America's best young writers. About his new novel, I know absolutely nothing, but I can confidently say that Greer is not a writer who came out of nowhere.

Last edited:

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス

I've never heard of him, either - but I barely read American literature, and of that, even less contemporary works. That being said, a quick peek at his Wiki has some glowing praise from Updike: His third book, The Confessions of Max Tivoli, came out in 2004. Writing in The New Yorker, John Updike called the book “enchanting, in the perfumed, dandified style of disenchantment brought to grandeur by Proust and Nabokov.”[SUP][13][/SUP] Mitch Albom then chose The Confessions of Max Tivoli for the Today Show Book Club and it soon became a bestseller.

He's also won five awards prior to this, so although he might not be well known, he's definitely not a creature from the void lol

Wake up, Dan, it's already in the toilet, just waiting to be flushed :)

If that's your outlook, then how do you wake everyday and tell yourself your work on the thesis is important? :p

Liam

Administrator

If that's your outlook, then how do you wake everyday and tell yourself your work on the thesis is important?
I suppose we must all do something with our lives, :) Also, it saves me from boredom (for now at least).

Liam

Administrator

It is a good use of your time -- much better than the alternative of being hired as Trump's Russian interpreter!
Hehe, definitely my SECOND choice, after Professor of Medieval Literature, :p

Stevie B

Current Member

Ah... a tenured position in the ivory tower, or a tenured position in the big house. Decisions, decisions

I think tenure in the White House cabinet nowadays lasts for about six months. ;)

redhead

Blahblahblah

Speaking of which, surprising no one, the Washington Post and the New York Times won a Pulitzer for their coverage of his dumpster fire of an "administration":

For deeply sourced, relentlessly reported coverage in the public interest that dramatically furthered the nation’s understanding of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and its connections to the Trump campaign, the President-elect’s transition team and his eventual administration. (The New York Times entry, submitted in this category, was moved into contention by the Board and then jointly awarded the Prize.)

tiganeasca

^Ater, Lividus, Ruber & V: I lost a lot of what little regard I had for Updike's views on literature when I recently learned about his review of Abdelrahman Munif's Cities of Salt. Not only did Updike dismiss him as a "campfire explainer," he wrote that Munif was “insufficiently Westernized to produce a narrative that feels much like what we call a novel[.]”

The ways in which that comment is offensive boggles the mind.

Liam

Administrator

^I agree that the comment is indeed questionable, but remember, poets and novelists rarely write good reviews. You'd think it was the opposite but it's true. I think it's to be expected, if you create literature then you're going to have strong views about what constitutes literature, real literature. Scholars and reviewers on the other hand can remain more indifferent, which often results in excellent commentary.

The 2020 Pulitzer prize for fiction was awarded to Colson Whitehead's The Nickel Boys.

The other two finalists were Ben Lerner (The Topeka School) and Ann Patchett (The Dutch House).

Dante

Wild Reader
So happy about this! Although isn't his best book, I think is a worth read that – one more time – sheds a peculiar light on a dark time in the US.
Moreover, I had dinner with Colson Whitehead last september and he is a really nice guy, so I'm also glad for the man behind the writer!

redhead

Blahblahblah
Wasn't a big fan of The Underground Railroad, but this one seems interesting to me. I think I'll pick it up in the near future

garzuit

Former Member
Louise Erdrich has won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction 2021 for her novel The Night Watchman. I only have read one of her novels, The Round House, and it was marvelous. It was about how a family in a North Dakota indian preservation copes with the rape of the mother, and the 13 year-old boy seeks the culprit and avenge her mother.

The Night Watchman is about "the battle to stop the displacement and elimination of several Native American tribes in the 1950s", according to the article. I look forward to reading more novels from her.

Louise Erdrich has won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction 2021 for her novel The Night Watchman. I only have read one of her novels, The Round House, and it was marvelous. It was about how a family in a North Dakota indian preservation copes with the rape of the mother, and the 13 year-old boy seeks the culprit and avenge her mother.

The Night Watchman is about "the battle to stop the displacement and elimination of several Native American tribes in the 1950s", according to the article. I look forward to reading more novels from her.

This is great news! I haven't read this book, but I've read quite a few by Erdrich, and I would place her as one of my favourite writers in English right now, and a good contender for the Nobel. She does some pretty amazing stuff with her literature.

This may be one of the first Pulitzer winners that I rush out to get. She's almost certainly worth the read.

redhead

Blahblahblah
This year’s prize went to Joshua Cohen’s The Netanyahus. He’s been on my radar for a while thanks to Witz, but I’ve never actually read anything by him. I’m guessing The Netanyahus wouldn’t be a bad place to start.

The finalists were Monkey Boy by Francisco Goldman and Palmares by Gayl Jones, both of whom I’m unfamiliar with

Full list of winners:

Last edited: