Pulitzer Prizes

The Common Reader

Living in Houston is a brave thing, nowadays, with the constant threat of flooding. Hope you're located on higher ground (if such a thing even exists there).
All things considered, I’m not sure it is any more brave than living in any other parts of the US that have been ravaged by climate change over the past couple decades. Also hard to say whether I’m on high ground—the townhouse where my husband & I live escaped the widespread flooding of Hurricane Harvey in 2017, and the destruction of Hurricane Ike in 2008. But only just. East Texas is flat and there just isn’t anywhere for water to go when there is intense drawn out rain as we have seen more and more frequently.
Houston is a textbook example of the effects of the lack of urban planning, but it is also a strangely exciting place to live. Everything is atrociously spread out, but if you look for them you can find world-class museums and galleries, some of the best opera outside of NYC, an enormous, vibrant food scene that reflects the multitude of different cultures that make up the city, fascinating contemporary architecture, the capital of the energy industry (not just fossil fuels, Texas is a leader in renewable energy), NASA headquarters, and a vast complex of medical research centers and hospitals. Sorry to go on!

Stevie B

Current Member
All things considered, I’m not sure it is any more brave than living in any other parts of the US that have been ravaged by climate change over the past couple decades. Also hard to say whether I’m on high ground—the townhouse where my husband & I live escaped the widespread flooding of Hurricane Harvey in 2017, and the destruction of Hurricane Ike in 2008. But only just. East Texas is flat and there just isn’t anywhere for water to go when there is intense drawn out rain as we have seen more and more frequently.
Houston is a textbook example of the effects of the lack of urban planning, but it is also a strangely exciting place to live. Everything is atrociously spread out, but if you look for them you can find world-class museums and galleries, some of the best opera outside of NYC, an enormous, vibrant food scene that reflects the multitude of different cultures that make up the city, fascinating contemporary architecture, the capital of the energy industry (not just fossil fuels, Texas is a leader in renewable energy), NASA headquarters, and a vast complex of medical research centers and hospitals. Sorry to go on!
I've been to several cities in Texas, but never to Austin or Houston, the two I'd most like to visit. Both would be good winter destinations when I'm trying to escape the extreme cold of northern Minnesota. Overall, though, we're in a somewhat protective climate bubble here. No hurricane threat, too far north to have much of a tornado risk, cool summers where the summer highs typically only reach the 90's on four or five days, and if our winters get milder, no one here would complain.

The Common Reader

I've been to several cities in Texas, but never to Austin or Houston, the two I'd most like to visit. Both would be good winter destinations when I'm trying to escape the extreme cold of northern Minnesota. Overall, though, we're in a somewhat protective climate bubble here. No hurricane threat, too far north to have much of a tornado risk, cool summers where the summer highs typically only reach the 90's on four or five days, and if our winters get milder, no one here would complain.
Plus you have Louise Erdrich and Birchbark Books.