Jon Fosse

Bartleby

Jon Fosse (b. 29 September 1959) is a Norwegian playwriter, poet, and novelist.
His works are famous for a minimalist, repetitive approach, which the author calls "slow prose", in an attempt to create a hypnotic state in the reader.

Select bibliography:

Prose:
Naustet (1989). Boathouse, trans. May-Brit Akerholt (Dalkey Archive, 2017).
Melancholia I (1995). Melancholy, trans. Grethe Kvernes and Damion Searls (Dalkey Archive, 2006).
Melancholia II (1996). Melancholy II, trans. Eric Dickens (Dalkey Archive, 2014).
Morgon og kveld (2000). Morning and Evening, trans. Damion Searls (Dalkey Archive, 2015).
Det er Ales (2004). Aliss at the Fire, trans. Damion Searls (Dalkey Archive, 2010).
Trilogien (2014). Trilogy, trans. May-Brit Akerholt (Dalkey Archive, 2016). Compiles three novellas: Wakefulness, Olav's Dreams and Weariness.
Scenes from a Childhood, trans. Damion Searls (Fitzcarraldo Editions, 2018). Collects texts from various sources.
Det andre namnet - Septologien I-II (2019). The Other Name: Septology I-II, trans. Damion Searls (Fitzcarraldo Editions, 2019).
Eg er ein annan - Septologien III-V (2020). I Is Another: Septology III-V, trans. Damion Searls (Fitzcarraldo Editions, 2020).
Eit nytt namn - Septologien VI-VII (2021). A New Name: Septology VI-VII, trans. Damion Searls (Fitzcarraldo Editions, 2021).

Plays compiled in English:
Plays One (2002). Someone Is Going to Come Home; The Name; The Guitar Man; The Child
Plays Two (2004). A Summer's Day; Dream of Autumn; Winter
Plays Three (2004). Mother and Child; Sleep My Baby Sleep; Afternoon; Beautiful; Death Variations
Plays Four (2005). And We’ll Never Be Parted; The Son; Visits; Meanwhile the lights go down and everything becomes black
Plays Five (2011). Suzannah; Living Secretly; The Dead Dogs; A Red Butterfly's Wings; Warm; Telemakos; Sleep
Plays Six (2014). Rambuku; Freedom; Over There; These Eyes; Girl in Yellow Raincoat; Christmas Tree Song; Sea

Poetry:
Poems (Shift Fox Press, 2014). Selection of poems, translated by May-Brit Akerholt.

Essays:
An Angel Walks Through the Stage and Other Essays, trans. May-Brit Akerholt (Dalkey Archive, 2015).

Links:
Karl Ove Knausgaard on the Writing of Jon Fosse
Pure Prose: On Jon Fosse, by Damion Searls
Jon Fosse: ‘You don’t read my books for the plots’
A Conversation with Jon Fosse
Jon Fosse presents "The Other Name," with Damion Searls & Dustin Illingworth

Last edited:

Bartleby

Received my copy of Morning and Evening today and was surprised to see that it's so small compared to the other titles published by The Dalkey Archive.
I found it quite cute, that it's the size of the palm of my hand, even tho when put side by side with the others they don't look so uniform now, hehe
C174AD1D-C9F9-4157-9CC6-4061F3E7874A.jpeg90194685-9C12-4834-A813-F63643CF480F.jpeg

SpaceCadet

Quiet Reader
Received my copy of Morning and Evening today and was surprised to see that it's so small compared to the other titles published by The Dalkey Archive.
I found it quite cute, that it's the size of the palm of my hand, even tho when put side by side with the others they don't look so uniform now, hehe
View attachment 907View attachment 906

Although the bright blue cover of the Fitzcarraldo's do stand out, it seems like that cutie one is easy to spot on the shelf. I do not own many Dalkey books but I'm quite fond of them.

Incidentally, the French translation of Septology I-II (published by Christian Bourgeois) is due to be out this Septembre (no official book cover yet).

redhead

Blahblahblah
View attachment 907View attachment 906

Did prices go down at all to more reasonable levels? Last I checked, used English copies of Morning and Evening were like 50+ USD

Leseratte

Some reviews on Jon Fosse:

Johnny

A New Name just arrived, 228 pages, epigraph is by Nietzsche “ Just a fool! Just a poet!”. Looking forward to it, wonder if the Academy has read it yet.

Marba

Reader
The Norwegian edition was apparently published August 30th, so if they want to read it for their deliberations there should have been enough time.

redhead

Blahblahblah
I know I'm quickly becoming an anti-Fosse voice here, which is unfair of me because I've, admittedly, read little of his work (one novel and snippets of several others). However, doesn't anyone else find his repetition of repetition tedious after a while (and by after a while, I mean several pages)? Has it just become part of his signature style or has he become a one trick pony? It brings to mind, in an odd way, the films of Quentin Tarantino (and I apologize if I've made this argument in the past - I'm getting too old to remember :giggle: ). The first Tarantino film I saw (and enjoyed, by the way), was "Reservoir Dogs," even though it had a disturbing torture scene that was played for comedy. I then saw his follow up, "Pulp Fiction," which also has a torture scene partially played for fun. I later saw his first film which features, you guessed it, a torture scene. I gave up on Tarantino for years before watching "Inglourious Basterds," where I found he had graduated to an ongoing series of torture scenes. My question to both Fosse and Tarantino is the same - "Don't you want to try something new?"

Regarding the repetitions in the prose, I actually feel like, for me at least, it’s the opposite of what you say: when I pick up one of his books for just a page or two, I find the repetition a bit grating, and when I sit down and make time for one of his books, I fall under his spell. His style’s also noticeably evolved over the years. You have the repetitious, anxious narrators in Boathouse and Melancholy, the compressed minimalism and eschewing of punctuation in Morning and Evening, Aliss at the Fire, and the Trilogy, and the “slow prose” of his Septology project. You can tell they’re all by the same author, but I wouldn’t say he’s a one trick pony.

He also often reuses themes, locations, plot points, and more in his work, which disappointed me when I first realized but I’ve come around to it. I’d compare him to Kenzaburo Oe or Modiano in this regard, in that he frequently repeats the same building blocks when starting a work, but either uses them to create something new or offers a different perspective on similar material.

Stevie B

Current Member
Thanks for the responses, nagisa and red. I'm glad to know Fosse's prose gives you pleasure, and I acknowledge that I likely haven't been patient enough to be put under his spell. If Fosse were to win the Nobel, I'd definitely give him another go, and I would try to take a different reading approach. In the meantime, however, there are so many authors whose work does speak to me, I'd rather tackle more of their books that I'm really excited to read.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Just finished A New Name. I need to mull over the ending a bit more before saying anything in depth, but it’s just as good as the other volumes and Septology as a whole is a masterful achievement.

MichaelHW

There is a new book by him here in Norway this year. I have never read anything by him because I always thought he was a little dark. At least that is the impression I have gotten from seeing some excerpts from his plays? But this new book they say is very funny!

redhead

Blahblahblah
Interesting to hear he’s translating Murnane’s The Plains. I’ve seen some people note similarities between their writing, and though I can’t quite fully articulate it, I can see something like a connection too.