John Ashbery

JTolle

Reader
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ashbery

Original. Hilarious. Wise. Genius. Controversial. Incomprehensible. Surreal. Whitmanian. Canonical. Inimitable... I could say more, but I think you get the picture.

One of my favorites:

"The Tennis Court Oath"

What had you been thinking about
the face studiously bloodied
heaven blotted region
I go on loving you like water but
there is a terrible breath in the way all of this
You were not elected president, yet won the race
All the way through fog and drizzle
When you read it was sincere the coasts
stammered with unintentional villages the
horse strains fatigued I guess . . . the calls . . .
I worry

the water beetle head
why of course reflecting all
then you redid you were breathing
I thought going down to mail this
of the kettle you jabbered as easily in the yard
you come through but
are incomparable the lovely tent
mystery you don’t want surrounded the real
you dance
in the spring there was clouds

The mulatress approached in the hall—the
lettering easily visible along the edge of the Times
in a moment the bell would ring but there was time
for the carnation laughed here are a couple of “other”

to one in yon house
The doctor and Philip had come over the road
Turning in toward the corner of the wall his hat on
reading it carelessly as if to tell you your fears were justified
the blood shifted you know those walls
wind off the earth had made him shrink
undeniably an oboe now the young
were there there was candy
to decide the sharp edge of the garment
like a particular cry not intervening called the dog “he’s coming! he’s coming” with an emotion felt it sink into peace
there was no turning back but the end was in sight
he chose this moment to ask her in detail about her family and the others
The person. pleaded—“have more of these
not stripes on the tunic—or the porch chairs
will teach you about men—what it means”
to be one in a million pink stripe
and now could go away the three approached the doghouse
the reef. Your daughter’s
dream of my son understand prejudice
darkness in the hole
the patient finished
They could all go home now the hole was dark
lilacs blowing across his face glad he brought you

JTolle

Reader
I started this thread so I could hear some opinions about Ashbery's work. Personally, I adore just about everything I've read by him, but some of his poems and books (Three Poems, "Sleepers Awake," "A Last World") astound me in every way and compel rereading after rereading after rereading. I do think Ashbery's early work (excluding The Tennis Court Oath, which I, obviously, love) is far more accessible, and it really reveals the springs of wisdom that run beneath even his most obscure and fragmented poetry. At the same time, his later work is so overwhelmingly original and joyful and expressive that I can't really get over it, either.

So, those are my cursory thoughts. Anyone else?

Ha! Sooner or later I will start a thread about somebody named other than "John", I promise! (Sorry JTolle - I since realised that YOU started the thread, not ME!)

Ashbery is a poet widely revered, occasionally reviled; always enigmatic, and thought - by at least one critic - to represent; "the last figure whom half the English-language poets alive thought a great model, and the other half thought incomprehensible".

His poetry is an exemplum of the postmodern; a poetry that foregrounds its own incomprehensibility as a latent theme; often drawing attention to, and satirising, it's own form or conventionality, inheriting from the likes of Wallace Stevens a curiosity bound to the exploration of one's own engagement with the nature or material reality, and the effect of artistic construct upon it, though specifically departing from Stevens in its (perhaps inevitable) proclivity for post-structural language games; the self and poetry/art always already a matter of obscurity, (meaning and profundity evasive qualities of realms that are unknown and unknowable). Very difficult indeed. And if one is to read Ashbery, I believe one must submit and read on this very basis of unknowability.

As John Barth claims in his essay the Literature of Exhaustion, in postmodernity we find: ‘the used-upness of certain forms or the felt exhaustion of certain possibilities – by no means necessarily a cause for despair’. Likewise, in Jean-Francois Lyotard's definition of postmodernity, we find that : ‘The postmodern would be that which, in the modern, puts forward the unpresentable in presentation itself; that which denies itself the solace of good forms [...] that which searches for new forms, not in order to enjoy them but in order to impart a stronger sense of the unpresentable’.

Both these qualities are "inherent" to the work of Ashbery (as much as anything can be "inherent"; for much of the emphasis in Ashbery's poetry is on the impossibility of "inherent" meaning)...

I would love to know if anybody has ANY ideas about Ashbery, as I am relatively new to his work, and am very keen to understand more. The poetry of his that I have read so far is obscure to the point that I fear my analytical skills are failing in trying to interpret it! Nonetheless, in suspending my critical faculties, indulging the surreal for a moment, I feel I have already an unexplainable appreciation of the poetry... Hope you like it, too!

Last edited:
This is a poem from a collection called Some Trees, I believe written between the ages of 19 and 27. It is called Two Scenes.

Two Scenes

I
We see us as we truly behave:
From every corner comes a distinctive offering,
The train comes bearing joy;
The sparks it strikes illuminate the table.
Destiny guides the water-pilot, and it is destiny.
For long we hadn’t heard so much news, such noise.
The day was warm and pleasant.
“We see you in your hair,
Air resting around the tips of mountains.”

II
A fine rain anoints the canal machinery.
This is perhaps a day of general honesty
Without example in the world’s history
Though the fumes are not of a singular authority
And indeed are dry as poverty.
Terrific units are on an old man
In the blue shadow of some paint cans
As laughing cadets say, “In the evening
Everything has a schedule, if you can find out what it is.”

The title, “Two Scenes” already speaks of a general sensibility to Ashbery’s poetry. It is metafictional, drawing attention to the “scene” element; the nature of the poem as an artistic construct. It is a rather bland way of presenting a poem first-off; perhaps a relinquishment of profundity in art, resignation to the fact of late-capitalist disillusionment, i.e. it is just “two scenes”; could be any scenes, but here they are. The first line of the poem is a rather complex turn of phrase; ‘We see us as we truly behave [not “believe”, as one might expect]’. One might argue this is a wisdom garnered from, or perpetuated by, the late 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century’s immersion in the intellectual culture of psychoanalysis; for the analytical dependency of “we” seeing others as we truly “behave” predominantly invokes the theory of “projection”; one seeing others as a reflection of one’s current state, and the thoughts underlying one’s conscious mind. The second line: ‘From every corner comes a distinctive offering’, may speak more clearly of literal corners, i.e. of the room the speaker is in or wishes to invoke, or perhaps also a more abstract musing on the nature of distinction itself, i.e. that once “cornered” a thing may indeed appear “distinctive”. ‘The train comes bearing joy’, reads line 3. A literal train or a metaphorical “train of thought”, one wonders? ‘The sparks it strikes illuminate the table’, as if perhaps sparks in real-life, somewhere in a café perhaps, near a table; as well as mental sparks, the emotional metaphor extended. ‘Destiny guides the water-pilot’ is a rather confusing statement, in that nowhere else in the first “scene” are we concerned with water. The repetition of the word “destiny” confirms the speaker’s belief in the concept, but who the water-pilot is remains an enigma. Perhaps the “you” and “we” and the “pilot” are each intended as unspecified characters in the scene, as to conjure a sense of this merely occurring; the spontaneous manifesting properties of the unconscious. The next line: ‘for so long we hadn’t heard so much news, such noise’ brings us back yet again to the “we”, as if perhaps a sense of things occurring to “us” as community is to be established. The fact that the ‘day was warm and pleasant’ also seems a statement ineffectual in the current context; although perhaps it is intended to mean nothing profounder than conforming to both the literal state, at the table, where the day was warm, as well as the mental state, likewise pleasant; and perhaps the both of them the consequent pleasantness of the poem’s own meditation, the epiphany of the first line culminating thus. The fact of the mentioning of a day in the past tense is indicative of a timely reality referred to, althought what occurred here is a matter of vague internal obscurity, combined with vague external obscurity. The last line of the first stanza is (I believe) even more difficult to interpret, i.e. ‘ “We see you in your hair, / Air resting around the tips of mountains” ’, as if speaking to an unknown person, although neither the literal nor metaphorical significance of the “tips of mountains” and the “seeing-somebody-in-the-hair” seem clear. The “you” of this line is likened to “air” and is thus amorphous. The first scene here then closes in obscurity; is hardly a “scene” in the conventional scene, for there are no discernible, visual aspects to the environment, only the half allegory of a kind of impossible dialectic between the internal and the external. The second scene, then; scene number II, noticeably performs a different rhythmic function to the first, the end words of each of the first five lines constitutive of a kind of satirical or sarcastic listing by the speaker, i.e. the self-consciously asserted: ‘machinery […] honesty […] history […] authority […] poverty’. The speaker even seems as if asked to speak on such a tiresome subject as to have done so begrudgingly. His construction of the second scene thus appears a burden to him; a boredom perhaps of the convention of a scene; the first scene an obscurantist undermining of the artistic convention, and the second one a, expression of the tiresome nature of artistic forms. There is ‘canal’ machinery, in the first line, which the ‘fine rain anoints’; the two inanimate qualities thus given to anthropomorphism, a healing quality inherent to the speaker’s surroundings. ‘This is perhaps a day of general honesty’, he says, developing perhaps the epiphany of the first scene; the noticing of projective qualities usurped by a sense of honesty of character. It is ‘Without example in the world’s history’, the moment or day completely unique, perhaps simply by virtue of the fact that it is a moment pure and simple, each moment in history building on, but also departing from, the past. ‘Though the fumes are not of a singular authority / And indeed are dry as poverty’, herein contrasts with the “anointing rain”; the lack of a singular authority contrasting with the anthropomorphised surroundings (which tend to give the impression of an omniscience). The ‘poverty’ of the ‘fumes’, i.e. the smells, is perhaps also indicative of the metaphorical “poverty” of the moment without profundity, without anthropomorphised omniscience (which would otherwise be “rich”). The next two lines are expectedly obscure and difficult to interpret once again; the ‘terrific units’ which are ‘on an old man / in the blue shadow of some paint cans’, seemingly referring to nothing in particular. The idea of units in the poem thus far constructed is difficult ot imagine, since a focus on obscurity and the amorphous quality of sensual impressions prohibits the clarity the word “unit” might otherwise conjure; “units” of what, exactly? The fact that man is in the ‘blue shadow of some paint cans’ appears to be the significant quality giving rise to the “units” that are on him. The “blue shadow” is a realital impossibility, for a shadow can have no other colour than black, or indeed the absence of colour, altogether. Thus the terrific units are ones of impossible quantity, and are “terrific” presumably because they conjure such a sense of awe. The ‘blue shadow’ is overtly reminiscent of a certain type of art, perhaps fauvist methodology, in that an unnatural colour is prevelant as a means of subverting conventional ways of seeing. These painterly units are perhaps what Ashbert is thinking of. Perhaps not. On the back of this, the final lines of the poem express a further hint towards a satire of schematic ways of viewing, i.e. ‘As laughing cadets says, “In the evening / Everything has a schedule, if you can find out what it is.” ’. The units of the man in the blue shadows of the paint cans are contrasted with the laughing cadets assertion that everything has a schedule. The cadets conjure something far more regimental than the obscurity of the blue shadow, and the fact that they are “laughing” is perhaps indicative of the irony that the schedule is inherent but only discernible if one can find it; a seemingly impossible task in the context of the poem. It I evening, one may note, and the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] scene is thus a type of progression from the first, the poem having moved from obscurity through sarcasm to satire and allegorical metafiction.

This is the title poem of that collection, Some Trees. Very Wallace Stevens-esque; a tribute, perhaps, to Ashbury's admired predecessor...

Some Trees

These are amazing: each
Joining a neighbour, as though speech
Were still a performance.
Arranging by chance

To meet as far this morning
From the world as agreeing
With it, you and I
Are suddenly what the trees try

To tell us we are:
That their merely being there
Means something; that soon
We may touch, love, explain.

And glad not to have invented
Such comeliness, we are surrounded:
A silence already filled with noises,
A canvas on which emerges

A chorus of smiles, a winter morning.
Placed in a puzzling light, and moving,
Our days put on such reticence
These accents seems their own defense.

“Some trees”, the title perhaps meaning merely “some” trees; as in, just any old trees, much like the tone of the 2 scenes poem. Or perhaps meaning; “wow, those are some trees”, the colloquial, American emphasis withstanding. Or perhaps merely as the “some” of an indeterminate quantity of trees, the reader left to imagine the image and quantity his/herself. The poem’s first line; ‘These are amazing: each’, signifies already a perplexing conundrum in thought, the trees being both amazing as collective, and amazing as individuals; the simultaneity of which is foregrounded not as paradox but as the impossible presence in the mind of both the one and the many. The ‘joining a neighbour’ of the second line confirms this impossible presence; ‘as though speech / were still a performance’ it says, the “performance” of the poem giving rise to the image of the simultaneous individual/communal trees. The closing of the first stanza is not so much a closing since it’s enjambment allows for a kind of flow into the next. ‘Arranging by chance’, it says, again foregrounding the poem’s process of performing; the reader’s process of interpreting/conjuring the images of the trees. But also, the ‘arranging by chance’ has a more literal meaning, since in the second stanza, the poem speaks of ‘you and I’ who have arranged by “chance” to meet ‘as far this morning / From this world as agreeing / with it’; a rather complex image of the people meeting in some impossible realm of equilibrium, where they are as far away as need be, not too near, not too far. ‘you and I are suddenly what the trees try / To tell us we are’, reads the last line of the 2 stanza, going into the third. And this aspect to Ashbery’s poetry is particularly reminiscent of the Stevens of the Anecdote on a Jar, or The Idea of Order at Key West; the strange feeling one allegedly has that one is constituted by nature; at base a romantic notion, usually turned on its head in Stevens, as to conjure a dialectic of man’s relation with nature as both constitutor and constituted; a rather more cyclical process than dialectical perhaps, and usually, eventually leaning towards the artist as creator of meaning. ‘That there merely being there / Means something; that soon / We may touch, love, explain’, thus continues the poet’s engagement with the trees as constitutors of the attitude and behaviours of the people; the romantic notion that there is an inherent, or intrinsic, quality to the trees; their meaning, as it were; their purpose. The poet then goes one step further in asserting that he and his companion are ‘glad not to have invented /such comeliness’, as if entirely convinced of the trees inherent value. The “we” of the poem might also be interpreted as Ashbery engaging with, speaking for, the reader. “We are surrounded” thus, by trees. The paradox of the following sentence, however, prohibits the poet’s intellectual giving-over to romanticism. A ‘silence already filled with noises’ somehow obliquely allegorizes the paradox of both inherent and non-inherent meaning; a ‘canvas on which emerges / A chorus of smiles’ then reverting to use of a more critical register, one invoking artistic production (a “chorus”), and thus metafictionally invoking the “chorus” of the poem’s speaker with those reading it (“We” or “us”!). The fact that the poem, we and the trees are ‘placed in a puzzling light’ is once more metafictional; the puzzling light simply the poem’s oblique illuminations of the trees and the possibility of inherent meaning. The poem’s final lines: ‘Our days put on such reticence / These accents seem their own defense’ are indicative of how Ashbery sees his “days”, or rather, his critical time period, late-modernity/postmodernity; the “put on reticence” perhaps characteristic of the period’s commitment to a silence of meaning; the impossible. The accents which seem their own defence perhaps even refers to the poem as a whole, finally dispelling the myth of inherent meaning; the “accents” of the song of the trees as romantic constitutors of the people and their reality but formulated as a poem and conclusively noted to have been a construct, (“their own defense”).

Liam

Administrator
There already was a John Ashbery thread in existence; I have consequently merged the two threads. Please do a quick search beforehand prior to starting a thread on a new book/writer to see if one is already in place, although this is probably no big deal, as I will simply "fix" your mistake later on in the day, :).

Thanks Liam, and apologies to Jtolle. I thought I had searched and couldn't find the thread. Obviously not! Cheers. And Jtolle, do you have any other poems of his you'd recommend? Have you read Daffy Duck in Hollywood and Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror? Not sure if I'm ready to interpret these yet!!! Very difficult poet, but I think could easily fall in love with him as well! Would be great to know your thoughts...

Here's another of his poems, My Erotic Double... I'm working on an interpretation of Daffy Duck in Hollywood right now... Incredibly complex and rich. But, I believe this poem here is also indicative of a Ashbery's general style, and there are many shorter poems oozing complexity and vitality such as this one...

My Erotic Double

He says he doesn’t feel like working today.
It’s just as well. Here in the shade
Behind the house, protected from street noises,
One can go over all kinds of old feeling,
Throw some away, keep others.
The word play
Between us gets very intense when there are
Fewer feelings around to confuse things.
Another go-round? No, but the last things
You always find to say are charming, and rescue me
Before the night does. We are afloat
On our dreams as on a barge made of ice,
Shot through with questions and fissures of starlight
That keep us awake, thinking about the dreams
As they are happening. Some occurrence. You said it.

I said it but I can hide it. But choose not to.
Thank you. You are a very pleasant person.
Thank you. You are too.

The “my” of the title would suggest that the poem is going to be autobiographical. Although, perhaps with Ashbery more than most other poets, the notion of autobiography is one of great obscurity, and is often interwoven with cultural minutia in various discourses or registers. The notion of “double”, whilst not exclusively attributable to Freud, immediately also conjures a sense of the uncanny, of projection, and the psychoanalytic. The poem’s first line: ‘He says he doesn’t feel like working today’ is rather a comical play on words; both that the speaker’s double doesn’t not feel like working, but that also – given the erotic nature of the poem – perhaps his penis-as-double does not feel like “working”; is flaccid. The second line’s admission that ‘It is just as well’, coupled with the image of the speaker there ‘in the shade’ rather invokes then a more sadistic, perverse sense of the poem’s eroticism. ‘Behind the house’, the speaker is ironically ‘protected from street noises’; ironic since he appears to be the one from whom people might need protection. He says ‘One can go over all kinds of old feeling’; the word “feeling” here both the emotional sense and the literal sense of feeling oneself; but also perhaps old feeling as a metaphor for photographs, as the speaker says in the next line; ‘Throw some away, keep others’. The indented inclusion of the phrase; ‘The word play’, by itself there at the end of the first/beginning of the second stanza, isolately draws one’s focus, so that, although it is ‘between us’ (that is, between Ashbery and his double), it is also a comment on the nature of the poem as well, as wordplay. It is a device common to post-modern literature; metafiction; drawing attention to the work as a construct, diminishing metaphysical profundity, foregrounding the realm of the symbolic; death of the author, birth of the reader, etc., etc. And the fact that the ‘wordplay gets very tense between us when there are / Fewer feelings around to confuse things seems to suggest that when the physical feeling of eroticism between him and his Erotic double is at a low point, diminished, seems to suggest that “wordplay” replaces the natural flow of the speaker’s libidinal energies; the figure of Freud once more vaguely rearing his head, this time with the invocation of the psychoanalytic process of sublimation. If feelings are to be equated with photographs however, the increase in wordplay also makes a kind of sense in their absence. The poem’s 9[SUP]th[/SUP] line then asks its readership: ‘Another go round?’, as if perhaps both another go round of the “feelings”, as well as another go round of the poem’s worldplay(?); again, metafictional. ‘No’, says another voice (the double or the speaker?), ‘but the last things / You always find to say are charming, and rescue me / Before the night does’. It appears that the speaker and his double are in dialogue here; the word “charming” and “night” serving to heighten one’s sense of the erotic; as if the speaker were charmed by himself, rescuing himself from the ‘night’ (presumably a “darker”, more perverse fate). The speaker or his double then asserts that ‘we afloat / On our dreams as on a barge made of ice, / Shot through with questions and fissures of starlight’. It is an unusual image; perhaps a slightly mystical one, if not merely a dreamscape whose significance is at least partially arbitrary. The questions appear to be coming from “starlight”, which, for obvious reasons, connotes a type of higher consciousness, a deified universe, a God, etc. And yet the “starlight” is said to ‘keep us awake, thinking about the dreams / As they are happening’ (this phrase also metafictional, drawing our attention to the thinking of the poem whilst IT is happening), which is ‘some occurance’, according to the speaker (or his double). ‘I said it but I can hide it’, he says, ‘But I choose not too’. And it is as if he wishes to draw attention further to the performative act of the poem, his “choosing not to hide” both a reference to the beginning of the poem where he finds himself away from the street noises, hidden by shade, and to the impossible choice to hide what he has now said; the poem itself. The last two lines are quite strange, taking on an even more mannered, colloquial sort of feel, the erotic double and poems speaker each telling the other he’s a “pleasant person”, also saying “thank you”, as if the entire exchange of the poems wordplay and imagery has been nothing but congenial for all parties involved. Indeed, as a reader, one has the feeling that the poem has veered neatly away from a potentially sadistic, perversity of subject, and into a more dreamy, symbolic vaguery; the like of which is intertwined with the colloquial enunciation of pleasantries at the poem’s close. In conclusion, the poem appears to be about the poet’s feelings of eroticism, which he both characterises (as his double) and deconstructs (as in the symbolic dreamscape), so as to dispel the myth of the poet as host to any sort of plain, sadistic eroticism; indeed to anything stable at all, for his notion of eroticism and exploration of the erotic double is one which foregrounds the transient, fleeting or ephemeral nature of feelings-as-a-linguistic-consctruct.

Ok... so... Daffy Duck in Hollywood. hmmm... Sorry for the lengthy explanation underneath. This is an incredibly difficult poem to interpret. But well worth the hard work. Ashbery is a genius!

Daffy Duck in Hollywood

Something strange is creeping across me.
La Celestina has only to warble the first few bars
Of “I thought about you” or something mellow from
Amadigi de Gaula for everything – a mint-condition can
Of Rumsford’s Baking Powder, a celluloid earring, Speedy
Gonzales, the latest from Helen Topping Miller’s fertile
Escritoire, a sheaf of suggestive pix on greige, deckle-edged
Stock – to come clattering through the rainbow trellis
Where Pistachio Avenue rams the 2300 block of Highland
Fling Terrace. He promised he’d get me out of this one,
That mean old cartoonist, but just look what he’s
Done to me now! I scarce dare approach me mug’s attenuated
Reflection in yon hubcap, so jaundiced, so deconfit
Are its lineaments – fun, no doubt, for some quack phrenologist’s
Fern-clogged waiting room, but hardly what you’d call
Companionable. But everything is getting choked to the point of
Silence. Just now a magnetic storm hung in the swatch of sky
Over the Fudd’s garage, reducing it – drastically –
To the aura of a plumbago-blue log cabin on
A Gadsden Purchase commemorative cover. Suddenly all is
Loathing. I don’t want to go back inside anymore. You meet
Enough vague people on this emerald traffic-island – no,
Not people, comings and goings, more; mutterings, splutterings,
The bizzarely but effectively equipped infantries of happy-go-nutty
Vegetal jacqueries, plumed, pointed at the little
White cardboard castle over the mill run. “Up
The lazy river, how happy we could be?”
How will it end? That geranium glow
Over Anaheim’s had the riot act read to it by the
Etna-sized firecracker that exploded last minute into
A carte du Tendre in whose lower right-hand corner
(Hard by the jock-itch sand-trap that skirts
The asparagus patch of algolagnic nuits blanches) Amadis
Is cozening the Princesse de Cleves into a midnight micturition spree
On the Tamigi with the Wallets (Walt, Blossom, and little
Skeezix) on a lame barge “borrowed” from Ollie
Of the movies’ dread mistress of the robes. Wait!
I have an announcement! This wide, tepidly meandering,
Civilized Lethe (one can barely make out the maypoles
And chalets de necessite on its sedgy shore) leads to Tophet, that
Landfill-haunted, not-so-residential resort from which
Some travellers return! This whole moment is the groin
Of a borborymic giant who even now
Is rolling over on us in his sleep. Farewell Bocages,
Tanneries, water-meadows. The allegory comes unsnarled
Too soon; a shower of pecky acajou harpoons is
About all there is to be noted between tornadoes. I have
Only my intermittent life in your thoughts to live
Which is like thinking in another language. Everything
Depends on whether somebody reminds you of me.
That this is a fabulation, and that those “other times”
Are in fact the silences of the soul, picked out in
Diamonds on stygian velvet, matters less than it should.
Prodigies of timing may be arranged to convince them
We live in one dimension, they in ours. While I
Abroad through all the coasts of dark destruction seek
Deliverance for us all, think in that language: its
Grammar, though tortured, offer pavilions
At each new parting of the ways. Pastel
Ambulances scoop up the quick and hie them to hospitals.
“It’s all bits and pieces, spangles, patches, really; nothing
Stands alone. What happened to creative evolution?”
Sighed Aglavaine. Then to her Selysette: “If his
Achievement is only to end up less boring than the others,
What’s keeping us here? Why not leave at once?
I have to stay here while they sit in there,
Laugh, drink, have fine time. In my day
One lay under the though green leaves,
Pretending not to notice how they bled into
The sky’s aqua, the wafted away no-color of regions supposed
Not to concern us. And so we too
Came where the others came: nights of physical endurance,
Or if, by day, our behaviour was anarchically
Correct, at least by New Brutalism Standards, all then
Grew taciturn by previous agreement. We were spirited
Away en bateau, under cover of fudge dark.
It’s not the incomplete importunes, but the spookiness
Of the finished product. True, to ask less were folly, yet
If he is the result of himself, how much the better
For him we ought to be! And how little, finally,
We take this into account! Is the puckered garance satin
Of a case that once held a brace of duelling pistols our
Only acknowledging of that color? I like not this,
Methinks, yet this disappointing sequal to ourselves
Has been applauded in London and St Petersburg. Somewhere
Ravens pray for us”
The storm finished brewing. And thus
She questioned all who came in at the great gate, but none
She found whoever heard of Amadis,
Nor of Stern Aureng-Zebe, his first love. Some
There were to whom this mattered not a jot: since all
By definition is completeness (so
In utter darkness they reasoned), why not
Accept it as it pleases to reveal itself? As when
Low skyscrapers from low-hanging clouds reveal
A turret there, an art-decco escarpment here, and last perhaps
The pattern that may carry the sense, but
Stays hidden in the mysteries of pagination.
Not what we see but how we see it matters; all’s
Alike, the same, and we greet him who announces
The change as we would greet the change itself.
All life is but a figment; conversely, the tiny
Tome that slips from your hand is not perhaps the
Missing link in the invisible picnic whose leverage
Shrouds our sense of it. Therefore bivouac we
On this great, blonde highway, unimpeded by
Veiled scruples, worn conundrums. Morning is
Impermanent. Grab sex things, swing up
Over the horizon like a boy
On a fishing expedition. No one really knows
Or cares whether this is the whole of which parts
Were vouchsafed – once – but to ambling on’s
The tradition more than the safekeeping of it. This mulch for
Play keeps them interested and busy while the big,
Vaguer stuff can decide what it wants – what maps, what
Model cities, how much waste space. Life, our
Life anyway, is between. We don’t mind
Or notice anymore that the sky is green, a parrot
One, but have our earnest where it chances on us,
Disingenuous, intrigued, inviting more,
Always invoking the echo, a summer’s day.

The poem allegedly utilizes both Tex Avery’s cartoon, Daffy Duck in Hollywood, as well as Chuck Jones’s celebrated "Duck Amuck" of 1953. Daffy Duck is the poem’s speaker (atleast in part); the character itself arguable utilized as part of the poet’s allegorical tribute to the cartoonish reality of a particular intersection of Hollywood; where ‘Pistachio Avenue rams the 2300 block of Highland Fling Terrace’, and where ‘something strange is creeping across [him]’; both the pen of the cartoonist, as well as the plethora of fleeting impressions inherent to sensual experience in the late capitalist milieu of the cartoon’s conception.

There is an emphasis on the mixing of so-called high and low culture; the sight of “Speedy Gonzales”, the imagined sound of “La Celestina”, and a prolific romance novelist’s “fertile escritoire”, as if there were no bounds or limits to what type of cultural impression might cross one’s path. Given that the poem is “set” (to use the term loosely, since Ashbery’s poetry often tends not to “position” as such, in geographical reality) in Hollywood, one might easily imagine the potency of such an assertion; since the American film industry, in its mainstream, deals primarily with the subject of so-called low culture, whilst it’s fringes also find funding for more experimental, “higher-cultured” works. All things are present.

The speaker often changes accent and register, claiming (in a mockneyed styling) that ‘I scarce dare approach me mug’s attenuated / Reflection’, only to revert to the narcissistic aesthetic of himself ‘so jaundiced, so deconfit’ (the juxtaposition of pretension in the French with the English “low-brow” perhaps symptomatic of the cartoon’s unlimited sphere of influence in contemporary culture; its dissemination and translation rife and quasi-arbitrary in the latter part of the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century). The mixing of registers and accents, parody and pastiche, within the poem is also indicative of general cultural experience in the modern world, since – as societal beings – we are ourselves subject to an impossible or infinite proliferation of arbitrarily symbolic impressions.

Daffy’s satire of the ‘phrenologists fern-clogged waiting room’ is quite untenable since we are only really familiar with him possessing a playful, cartoon intelligence. The poem is thus inaugurative of a kind of modern, symbolic absurdism. The effect of a ‘magnetic storm’ on ‘Fudd’s garage’ [invoking Elma Fudd, perhaps?], is that it is reduced to the ‘aura of a plumbago-blue log cabin on / A Gadsden Purchase commemorative cover’; the physics of the weather affecting the cartoon reality, affecting the other register of the Arizonian stamp/cover. We are thus largely situated in the symbolic (even in the physics of the storm, which is hung in a “Swatch” – a sample of cloth, material; a tapestry), and must accept the bizzarely frantic interplay of the realm’s variety of forms (from songs to stamps to cartoons to nominal identities, either personal or corporate or fictional – seemingly unlimited).

The poem’s assertion that ‘Suddenly all is loathing’ rather reminds one of O’Hara’s poem A Step Away From Them: ‘Suddenly every honks’; the suddenness, a transition perhaps indicative of a momentary lull in consciousness proceeded by rapid visceral awakening again; immersed in sensual impressions. The sheer volume of impressions inherent to either New York or Hollywood speak directly of this suddenness. The speaker claims; ‘I don’t want to go back inside anymore’, meaning perhaps that he does not want to be contained in his cartoon allegory, or perhaps that he has no wish to return to a state of introversion, given the richness of the external stimuli. He describes the people on the “traffic island” as ‘comings and goings, more; mutterings, splutterings,’ (the traffic island on which he presumably stands itself symbolic of the immersion of the subject, awkwardly situated there in the very middle of the traffic; a kind of futurist image, one imagining the flux and the speed-marks of the eye not able to process the sight of moving vehicles).

The ‘infantries of happy-go-nutty / Vegetal jacqueries’ is perhaps invocative of the cities homeless population; the ‘happy-go-nutty’ a satire of the more popular phrase, meant perhaps also to characterise the mood of the poem itself. A few lines later the appearance of the question: ‘How will it end?’ is once more an example of the type of metafictional approach to poetry Ashbery seems to privilege; this time Daffy Duck (as well as the poem pure and simple) asking the question; "how will Daffy Duck’s description/How will life/How will the poem/Post-Modern culture/Hollywood/The Earth “End”"?

The next 5-6 lines of the poem are incredibly complex. If one is cognizant of both the vocabulary and the cultural significance of the likes of the Princesse de Cleves (an anonymously published French novel), the Carte du Tendre (or map of tenderness), of the ‘asparagus patch of the algolagnic nuits blanches’ (an art installation at an all-night erotic exhibition???), and of the “Tamigi” (the Italian word for London’s River Thames, I think???), then one is transported (or rather flung) into a variety of seemingly contradictory spaces of culture. It is Ashbery’s point, however, that these spaces are not unusually juxtaposed, but rather imitate the flourish of unlikely-seeming juxtapositions inherent to human thought.

‘Wait!’, says the speaker; ‘I have an announcement!’; and his following description of the ‘wide, tepidly meandering, / Civilized Lethe’ which ‘leads to Tophet (a Jewish synonym for “Hell”; a place in Jerusalem of ancient child sacrifice and ritual burnings), invokes both the meandering quality of the Thames, as well as traditional, theological images of Hell on Earth; Hollywood. And yet this equation of the biblical with reality foregrounds the poet's vague via negativa (a process of defining God and the sublime by what it is not). The ‘not-so-residential-resort from which / some travellers return’ is also (I believe) invocative of Dante Alighieri’s Inferno; a rather modernistic-seeming referent. Perhaps one of the poem’s most memorable lines comes here shortly after: ‘I have only my intermittent life in your thoughts to live / Which is like thinking in another language’. And what is communicated here is yet another metafictional proposition; that both Daffy Duck, as well as the poem, as well as any imagery or voice, can only “live”, as it were, “intermittently”; for life is not present in descriptions of it, not present in representation, nor totally in one’s imaginative reflection of that representation; perhaps the intermittent “life” of the character portrayed here is itself an assertion too far by Ashbery; there are only words here, afterall, not people (or existence). But the assertion that it is like thinking in another language perhaps then confirms Ashbery’s commitment to the post-structural emphasis on reality-as-linguistic-construct. ‘While I / Abroad through all the coasts of dark destruction seek deliverance for us all, think in that language’, then allegedly invokes Milton’s Satan, a pathos inaugurated upon hearing his predicament having to speak in the impossible language, somewhere inbetween himself and us and the living hell on Earth.

‘That this is a fabulation’, says the speaker, ‘and that those “other times” are in fact the silences of the soul’, once again requires of us a metaficional engagement with the poem. He is speaking of course of the “fabulation” of his own linguistic construct; the poem, and the “other times” are perhaps simply “times” or spaces in which the poem is not; those impossibly describable times-without-language; the “silences of the soul” (for want of a better word ‘aye John!?). The idea of the speaker performing in a linguistic terrain that is unfamiliar of foreign to him is also one shared by Deleuze. I cannot remember the quote verbatim, but to paraphrase; a style is the equation of one’s ability to carve out a foreign language within one’s own conventional language, for as Proust also says; ‘All great books are written in a kind of foreign language’ anyway.

The ‘pastel ambulances’ invoke once again the allegory of the poem, i.e. its animated, cartoon nature; itself a construct; a construct of a construct.

The introduction by the poem to the speakers of Aglavaine and Selysette is a strange one. It is unclear whether or not Daffy Duck is host to the poem any longer, for they simply appear; Aglavaine seemingly commenting on the poem and its “patches”, how ‘nothing stands alone’, and then speaking to Selysette; ‘If his achievement is only to end less boring than the others…’, as if perhaps criticising the poet (Ashbery), or Daffy Duck, or perhaps also merely invoking Maeterlincks drama in which the two characters feature, embroiled in a love triangle, Aglavaine pursuing Meleandre, Selysette’s husband. The literary appropriation of the characters is both a mark of how poetry (and literature in general) is an inter-textual process, as well as inaugurative of a type of readerly framework, for one must necessarily conjure in one’s mind the drama by Maeterlinck, must therefore impose this scene on the poem, must – as a consequence – become increasingly conscious of the poem as a linguistic construct. ‘What’s keeping us here?’, asks Aglavaine, meaning both what is keeping them “here” in the mind of the poem’s reader, as well as what is keeping them “here” in their affections for Meleandre; the suggestion of a latent theme of homosexuality; heteronormativity decentred in the performative act of discarding the patriarchal lynchpin of the male character.

Aglavaine continues to talk; this time of a epoch prior to the one of her current inhabitance (as if she were speaking to us from the past, albeit a fictional one), and laments a time when objects were seen as separate by the aesthetic auditor, i.e. ‘Pretending not to notice how the[] [green leaves] bled into / The sky’s aqua’. She says that ‘we, too, came where the others came: nights of physical endurance’, as if this time perhaps referring more crudely to the latent theme of sexuality. ‘if’, she says, their behaviour was ‘anarchically / Correct, at least by the New Brutalism Standards’ (referring to a type of oppressive, modernist art/architecture that flourished in the mid-20[SUP]th[/SUP] century), ‘all then grew taciturn by previous agreement’. The portion of Agalvaine’s speech is incredibly difficult to interpret. Perhaps she is speaking of how the characters themselves evolved in cultural significance throughout the modernist period; perhaps merely how sexuality suffered at the oppressive hands of Brutalist doctrine, or the like, i.e. it grew ‘taciturn’ or “silent”.

The image of the ‘duelling pistols’ and the applauding of the characters in London and St Petersburg is something that escapes me. If anybody has any ideas what this means, please tell me!!! I think perhaps this section relies heavily upon one’s knowledge of Maeterlinck’s characters and their progressively oblique cultural significance, but I am not familiar with the play at all, so…

Once Anglavaine is done speaking, the poem continues: ‘The storm finished brewing’, a type of post-modern, self-conscious pathetic fallacy; the weather allied to the “storm” of the poem’s fragmented cultural tornado. The speaker claims that ‘she questioned all who came in at the great gate’, unclear whom he refers to; perhaps Anglavaine. ‘None she found whoever heard of Amadis [a tragedy by Jean-Baptiste Lully] / Nor of Stern Aureng-Zebe, his first love’ (Aurung-Zebe a character by Dryden in 1675, based on the then Mughal Emperor). ‘Some there were to whom this mattered not a jot’, says the speaker: ‘since all by definition is completeness’. And perhaps this is the poet’s relinquishment of the modernistic notion that a supreme knowledge could exist at all; that in fact, passersby who do not know anything of so-called “high culture” are already complete, and that it “matters not a jot”.

The image of the skyscrapers in the cloud, which – when uncovered – reveal turrets, speaks expertly of the manner in which the tradition, and one’s historical knowledge, informs one’s present moment. Knowledge not as necessary, but as constitutive of an entirely unique experience; one that is not only culture specific, but one that is specific to the individual’s apprehension of cultural information. ‘All life is but a figment’, Daffy claims, rather elevatedly, pretentious. And yet “conversely”, he says, ‘the tiny / Tome [book] that slips from your hand is not perhaps the / Missing link’. It appears he is saying that (contrary to Steven’s “supreme fiction; poetry as answer), fiction/poetry does not provide anything ultimate, but rather something that (if this poem is anything to go by) exists in a state of perpetual fluctuation.

The speaker’s assertion that one is to ‘grab sex thing’, and ‘swing up / Over the horizon like a boy / On a fishing expedition’, further invokes a playful, cartoonish quality to the act of engaging in life. And yet the poet also seems to intervene here in the suggestion that ‘ Play keeps them [critics?] interested and busy while the big, / Vaguer stuff can decide what it wants’. This idea that the bigger vaguer stuff can “decide” is a strange one, since it appears to endow some unknowable, or unnamed, quantity with a consciousness of its own; seemingly antithetical to the poem’s pervasively materialist stance.

‘We don’t mind / Or notice anymore that the sky is green’, says the speaker at the poem’s outro, referencing part of its own construct, i.e. Aglavaine commenting on how the sky and the leaves had previously appeared to her as separate; the poet/Daffy concluding now that the colours are whatever we say they are in the performative act of saying-so. The final line of the poem, ‘Always invoking the echo, a summer’s day’, perhaps then draws to a close with a final obscurity, forbidding real closure; the motif of the echo ironically prevalent as a metafictional node of displacement; a “summer’s day” forever echoed; re-inscribed, re-imagined; never one thing in particular to an infinite mass that are subject to infinitely morphing impressions.

If ANY of this is useful to ANYBODY EVER, I would love to know. And likewise, if anybody has any ideas about the Aglavaine section, I'd love to know also...

Last edited:
Paradoxes and Oxymorons

This poem is concerned with language on a very plain level.
Look at it talking to you. You look out a window
Or pretend to fidget. You have it but you don’t have it.
You miss it, it misses you. You miss each other.

The poem is sad because it wants to be yours, and cannot be.
What’s a plain level? It is that and other things,
Bringing a system of them into play. Play?
Well, actually, yes, but I consider play to be

A deeper outside thing, a dreamed role-pattern,
As in the division of grace these long August days
Without proof. Open-ended. And before you know it
It gets lost in the steam and chatter of typewriters.

It has been played once more. I think you exist only
To tease me into doing it, on your level, and then you aren’t there
Or have adopted a different attitude. And the poem
Has set me softly down beside you. The poem is you.

Liam

Administrator
RE: # 9: You may want to introduce paragraph breaks; I think your analysis is lovely (if a bit too technical), but it's really hard on the eyes.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Every time I try to read Ashbery it feels like he's saying 'frack you' to my face:

Batman came out and clubbed me.
He never did get along with my view of the universe
except you know existential threads
from the time of the peace beaters and more.
He patted his dog Pastor Fido.
There was still so much to be learned
and even more to be researched.
It was like a goodbye. Why not accept it,
anyhow? The mission girls came through the woods
in their special suitings. It was all whipped cream and baklava.
Is there a Batman somewhere, who notices us
and promptly looks away, at a new catalogue, say?

Let's compare that 'poem' to a real poet's work, for example, via the brilliant Languagehat blog, Hugh McDiarmid's The Eemis Stane ('the unsteady stone'), from Sangschaw (1925)

(please note that how(e)-dumb-deid means 'depth, darkest point,' hairst is 'harvest,' warl is 'world', lift 'sky,' yowdendrift 'blizzard,' fug 'moss,' hazelraw 'lichen,' and yirdit 'buried):

I' the how-dumb-deid o' the cauld hairst nicht
The warl' like an eemis stane
Wags i' the lift;
An' my eerie memories fa'
Like a yowdendrift.

Like a yowdendrift so's I couldna read
The words cut oot i' the stane
Had the fug o' fame
An' history's hazelraw
No' yirdit thaim.

I don't get that same sense about Ashbery's work. Rather, I sense a playfulness, a refusal to be po-faced as it were, that results in a poetry that is an exuberent denial of the culture of high seriousness that plagues a lot of non-Postmodernist poetry. In this he is very reminiscent of the parodic and ludic nature of Ern Malley, who, it could be considered, is both the first Postmodernist poet and the first Postmodernist poet that does not exist (in much the same way Adore Floupette is both the first and first non-existant Symbolist poet).

There is, then, a sense of joyousness in Ashbery that I find I respond to, the same joy that I find in his friend John Tranter, and, as well, a serious literariness and depth of allusion to popular culture that enriches and informs the poetry.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
PhilipAelis, you make a very good point about the playfulness of Ashbery's poetry. His poems are closely related to Barthelme's short fiction in that sense and in the mixture of pop and high culture elements.

I usually appreciate flippant, bird-flipping texts, but when it comes to poems, maybe I'm too accustomed to having the little customary revelation at the end. Which is the reason why I like this one poem of his, where he makes at least an ironic, minor effort to fulfill the expectation of an epiphany.

Mordred

Now I have neither back nor front.
I am the way certain persons are
who never tell you how they are
yet you know they are like you and they are.

I was preternaturally wise
but it was spring, there was no one to care or do.
It was spring and the sprinklers were on.

Bay, indentation, viscous rocks
that are somebody’s pleasure. Pleasures that don’t go away
but don’t exactly stay,
stay the way they were meant to be.
I caught a winged one,
looked it firmly in the eyes:
What is your surmise? Oh, I only like living on,
the rest isn’t so important to me,
not at all, if you wish.
But I do, I said. Then, well, it’s like a clearing
in the darkness that you can’t see. Darkness is meant for all of us.
We grow used to it. Then daylight comes again.
That’s what I mean when I say about living
it could be going on, going somewhere else,
but it’s not, it’s here, more or less.
You have to champion it, then it fights for you,
but that isn’t necessary. It will go on living anyway.
I say do you mind I’m getting tired.

But there is one last thing I must know about you.
Do you remember a midnight forge
around which crept the ghosts of lepers, who were blacksmiths
in a time persistently unidentifiable, and then you went like this?
You remember how the hammer fell slowly
taking all that song with you.
You remember the music of the draught horses
they could only make against a wall.
All right, how little does it all cost you then?
You were a school child, now you are past middle age,
and the great drawing hasn’t occurred.

I see I must be going.
I just like living,
only like living.
Sometime you must tell me of your intentions,
but now I have to stay here on this fast track
in case the provisions come along
which I won’t need, being a living, breathing creature.
But I asked you about your hat.
Oh yes well it is important to have a hat.

I usually appreciate flippant, bird-flipping texts, but when it comes to poems, maybe I'm too accustomed to having the little customary revelation at the end. Which is the reason why I like this one poem of his, where he makes at least an ironic, minor effort to fulfill the expectation of an epiphany.

I have read, elsewhere, that the art we like is usually marked by a degree of familiarity, and that the unfamiliar is seen as unartistic, and the like. This rolls over to literature in that, when there is talk about why poetry is not popular, not enough attention is given to the idea that, in order to "make" it popular there has to be greater familiarity with it when young.

What has this to do with Ashbery? Simply this: those who tend to be familiar with his work, and to have "grown up" with it, tend to accept it more readily than those to whom it is reasonably unfamiliar. In my case, my like follows on from long familiarity with the poetry of Ern Malley, thence other, similar poets, thence Ashbery, so that the reaction I developed was conditioned by my earlier likes.

You make the same basic point when discussing "Mordred": you like it because its sense of closure is in a way familiar to you.

There is nothing wrong with this process, of course: it happens to us all. For many of us it stops at a point, and we don't progress onwards; for many of us we continue to add to our bodies of interest. Either way, we are interesting mammals.

I agree with what you're saying here about familiarity. I think this sense can also be gained by purposely setting-out to analyse the poetry. On the surface it may appear bewildering. Once analysed, it may yield an intricate and highly meditative response...

I’ve been reading his collection Your Name Here, recently. Didn’t like it at first, seemingly depthless; some kind of surreal collage of mundane colloquial dialogue. But then I made some notes, and low and behold, I think I’m beginning to see its merit again…

This Room

This room I entered was a dream of this room.
Surely all those feet on the sofa were mine.
The oval portrait
of a dog was me at an early age.
Something shimmers, something is hushed up.

We had macaroni for lunch every day
except Sunday, when a small quail was induced
to be served to us. Why do I tell you these things?
You are not even here.

“This room” seems to me to refer to both the “room” of the poet’s subject, i.e. an imagined room, perhaps a literal room, in which the poet is speaking, as well as the room, or “space”, of the poem’s page (the room taken up by the very words on the page, the reader’s “room”). It is interesting that the room itself “was a dream of this room”, as this testifies to the self-reflexivity of the double-entendre; a dream-room (within a room) that is metafictional, but also surreal, not really there in space, merely spoken of, written.

The “feet on the sofa” in the poem’s second line seem to evince a disorienting, equivocal sort of memory, i.e. the speaker is unsure whether or not “all those feet” were his, or if perhaps the synecdoche of the feet are there to stand-in for the lapsed wholesomeness of the forgotten family members. In other words, the speaker seems unable to recall the entirety of the image; the other people (presumably his family) are left un-described (his memory cannot recall them in full); instead the feet are symbolic of an inquiry into a kind of phenomenal solipsism: “am I all the fragments of my own memory; nothing else?”.

Similarly, the “oval portrait / of a dog” the speaker thinks of as himself “at an early age”. His surroundings appear to be that which he remembers, and has somehow psychologically incorporated into his self-image. The assertion then that “something shimmers” seems to call to mind the surface of the portrait’s glass-covering in the oval frame, but also simply the “shimmers” of a dream-like experience, recounted. The idea that something is subsequently “hushed up” seems to confirm this notion, for the image of the dog/young boy one imagines the speaker’s self statically confined to the framework of the portrait, without sound, hanging there, lifeless on the wall.

The beginning of the next stanza is somewhat sentimental in tone, the speaker recalling that “we had macaroni for lunch every day / except Sunday” (the pervasively religious-element to the week’s Gregorian temporal structure withstanding). Of the familial tradition and the societal religiosity the poem evinces here, the “small quail” becomes a quaint and elegant symbol, “induced / to be served to us”, as if the world and its agricultural fruits yield both a oneness with nature and a superiority of man in his food-chain; man, the being made in God’s image.

The “fourth wall” of the so-called room is then once more broken as the poet asks: “Why do I tell you these things?” – Indeed, one wonders, “why?”. The poem has little meaning, save for the self-expressional bent of the affected, dreamily-diffusive recollections of its author. Afterall, says the speaker “You are not even here”. With this closing statement, the poem comes full circle to its metafictional musing on the “space” or “room” of the written-page; neither are we “here” on the page (for there are only words on the page), nor are we “here” with the speaker as he recollects. His poem, then, is a madness, a voice without presence, without hope of real, unmediated intimacy. The poem’s end is concurrent with the type of epiphanic self-consciousness one has at the moment of realising one is talking to oneself: “Oops. I’ll stop now then, shall I?”.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Engleberton, thank you for that lovely poem. This is exactly the reason why you should ask those who love a poet for the best examples of his/her poetry.

I have a different reading of the poem.

To me, the poem is about the afterlife, a room we enter that is merely a dream of our past habitation. The poet is disoriented by this new state of being, all those feet on the sofa must have been his feet, as well as him being the dog in the oval portrait, but who can tell with all this silence and shimmering surrounding him? And then, a trivial recollection from the past life about macaroni, but what's the point? There is nobody else in that room with the poet, he's alone.

Hey Cleanthess.

Yeah I think you’re onto something there! Always good to hear a different interpretation. I think Ashbery’s poetry is particularly open to that (lots of double-entendres and symbolic ambiguities…). Here’s another poem from the same collection:

Not You Again

Thought I’d write you this poem. Yes,
I know you don’t need it. No,
you don’t have to thank me for it. Just
want to kind of get it off my chest
and drop it in the peanut dust.

You came at me and that was something.
I was more than a match for you, you
were a match for me, we undid the clasps
in our shirtings, it was a semblance of all right.

Then the untimely muse got wind of it.
Picked it up, hauled it over there.
The bandy-legged man was watching
all this time. “… to have Betty back on board.”

Now it’s time for love-twenty.
Assume your places on the shuffleboard.
You, Sam, must make a purple prayer
out of origami and stuff it. If you’ve
puked it’s already too late.

I see all behind me small canyons, drifting,
Filling up with the space of drifting.
The chair in the attic is up to no good.

Then you took me and held me like I was a child
or a prize. For a moment there I thought I knew you,
but you backed away, wiping your specs, “Oh,
excuse…” It’s okay,
will come another time

when stupendous seabirds are carilloning out over the Atlantic,
when the charging fire engine adjusts its orange petticoats
after knocking down the old man the girls picks up.
Now it’s too late, the books are closed, the salmon
No longer spewing. Just so you know.

The title of the poem (“Not you again”) has the affectionate tone of a colloquial familiarity, i.e. the negation of the phrase connotatively means that the speaker is mockingly-pleased to see you.

The poem begins with the laxity of a grammar free of subjectship. In other words, it is written in a familiar short-hand, as if scrawled on a post-it note, and where it might say “I thought I’d write you…”, it instead says, “Thought I’d write you…”. This is perhaps a common characteristic of the poetry Ashbery embarks upon in this volume; a casual preference for the everyday and the conversational medium as a subject for poetry.

The tone is again mockingly-familiar, and playfully intimate in it’s second line: “Yes, / I know you don’t need it”; the speaker speaking as if he has anticipated the recipient’s objection to the medium of poetry (perhaps to the content of the poem itself).

I am unsure precisely what is meant by the notion of “get it off my chest / and drop it in the peanut dust”(?)… the “peanut dust” itself perhaps refers to the domestic situation (i.e. the very table-top) in which the paper of the poem is left (like a post-it note, left on the side, there ready for the absent recipient).

The second stanza seems to reveal the reason for the poem’s composition, i.e. it is a love-poem, but also a note, left by the absconding half of a couple after an intimate, sexual encounter, perhaps even a one-night stand (the poet musing on the encounter more philosophically/poetically than most might – the first stanza becoming by contrast rather an apologetic one; the poet more sensitive than the recipient, keen to write without even the expectation of being fully understood or appreciated).

That the encounter is referred to as a “semblance of all right” is an unlikely phrase, since the speaker mayn’t want to hurt his lover’s feelings with this admission in reality. The use of the word “semblance” itself testifies once more the poet’s post-structural leanings, i.e. nothing is quite what it is, nothing quite “all right”, but rather merely “all right’s” likeness; something close to it, but not the ontological cigar!

The “untimely muse” that “got wind” of the intimacy “Picked it up, hauled it over there”. This is a confusing statement. One wonders: “Where did she haul it?” – Indeed, this is not specified, Ashbery’s spatiality is an oblique, unspecified one.

The “Bandy-legged man” who “was watching /all this time” seems to conjure the image of a cowboy; a particularly iconic sort of American masculinity; unlike the muse, situated in both time and place (the American mid West 19[SUP]th[/SUP]/20[SUP]th[/SUP] Century). That he is watching, perhaps offers us a hint as to the sexuality of the speaker, i.e. he is conscious of the masculine icon having witnessed his intimate encounter with the recipient of the poem, as if the heteronormative icon surveys his every, private move.

“… to have Betty back on board” seems to refer very obliquely to what the bandy-legged man might be thinking (though this interpretation is, at best, conjecture – the meaning is unclear).

The 4[SUP]th[/SUP] stanza introduces the board-game of “Love-twenty”. One wonders, is this merely a board-game, or might we allow the (neologistic) phrase “Love-twenty” to mean something like: “the social-stricture, the end of the sexuality’s formative period, i.e. 20 years old: must decide – straight or gay?”

The following instruction might apply to either interpretation, i.e. “Assume your places on the shuffleboard”. The speaker refers to a person named “Sam”. And since we’re dealing with American iconography, this inevitably conjures images of uncle-Sam, American nationalism/patriotism, giving further credence to the notion that the shuffleboard is emblematic of the “game” of American life.

I am unsure what the “purple prayer” is (perhaps simply the solemnity of the liturgical observation of Lent?). It is unclear why Sam might make the prayer out of “origami”, since this is a Japanese word/practise, and that he might “stuff it” appears to refer to him eating it, or inserting it into an orifice, or perhaps simply forgetting it, like: “stuff that!”.

The “small canyons, drifting” appears to refer both the desert and to the body of the “drifting”, hollow individual (perhaps the American social experience as Ashbery sees it?).

It is interesting that the chair in the attic is “up to no good”, since the image itself mirrors the hollowness/emptiness of the drifting canyons; the vast lonesomeness of the great outdoors nigh-on personified in the chairs absentee. * Is absentia once again a primary theme of the poem, then(?).

………….

I’ve just started to read another of his collections. It’s called, Can You Hear, Bird? and I’m definitely REALLY liking it so far (much more than this one!). It’s very vivid, very surreal, still, but also extremely arresting and thought provoking… I’ll upload a couple of the good ones here soon…

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

Not really my favourite poet, but here are some poems. Example:

The nude thing was taken around
To various ambarssadorial residences

And on the day he had come home
To see her, her in the maze of sandwiches
Some artisan proposed,
He was like a bee in the summer.

Remember the reflexive mode, the soul
Can live with that, or live behind
It he said to no avail. The last
Breasts caught up.

And in morning like sugar she gave her head
To fill places the mind suggests.

Two Deaths
The lace
Of spoken breathing fades quite quickly, becomes
Something it has no part in, the chairs and
The mugs used by the new young tenants, you whose glance
Is elsewhere. Body rounds out the
Muted
Magic and sighs.

Unkind to want
To be here, but the way back's cut off
You can only stand and nod, exchange stares, but
Time of manners is going, the woodpine in the corner
Of the lot exudes the peace of the forest. Perennially we die and are taken up again.
How's it
With us, we're asked and the voice
On the old Edison cylinder tells it obliquity,
Condition of straightness of these tutorials,
From when it's held in the hand.
He gave suit.
Empty pavilion as big as a hill.